How to File a Lawsuit Against the Federal Government

How to File a Lawsuit Against the Federal GovernmentWhen a person is injured in an accident due to the negligence of another party, the law allows the victim to pursue damages against the at-fault party in order to recoup financial compensation for any losses the injuries have caused them. However, if the at-fault party is an employee of the federal government or a federal agency, there is an entirely different process than suing a private entity. This article will help answer the question of how to file a lawsuit against the federal government. For more detailed information, contact a personal injury attorney.


The law that covers suing the federal government if the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). It is this law that specifies the procedural requirements that a victim must follow in order to protect their right to file a claim for their injuries. It is suggested that due to the complexity of these types of claims that victims retain the services of a personal injury attorney.

Under the FTCA, the at-fault party must be an actual employee of a federal agency and not just an independent contractor and their actions or behavior must have been negligent and not willful misconduct. There is an exception if the misconduct was engaged in by a federal law enforcement employee.

The first step to filing a claim under FTCA is to submit a Notice of Claim with the federal agency that is responsible for the victim’s injury. The Notice of Claim is filed using the Standard Form 95 (SF95). Information submitted on this form includes the date and time of the incident and the details of any injuries, death, and property damage. There is also an area where the victim can list any witnesses and their contact information. The form must also include a specific dollar amount of the financial compensation the victim is seeking. If this dollar amount is not included, it can result in the victim forfeiting their right to seek damages.

Even though a victim could fill out the form themselves, it is often better to have an attorney fill out the claim because of the specific legal requirements the form has. These include:

Filing a Lawsuit

If the government does not rule in your favor, your attorney may file a lawsuit under the FTCA. The lawsuit must be filed in the U.S. District Court in the jurisdiction where the incident or accident occurred. The government will assign the case to an attorney in the Department of Justice (DOJ), so having an experienced federal lawsuit attorney advocating for you is critical. Contact the Saavedra Law Firm, PLC.

Phoenix Personal Injury & Civil Litigation Lawyer

Attorney Freddy Saavedra provides trustworthy, aggressive representation to accident victims. He handles cases related to motor vehicle collisions, slips and falls, dog bites, and other accidents. Attorney Saavedra also brings wrongful death claims on behalf of families who have suffered the loss of a loved one in an accident.



$1 Million Motorcycle Accident Trucking Accident Wrongful Death - Recovered for the statutory beneficiaries of a motorcyclist killed by a negligent commercial truck driver. The driver of the commercial vehicle was found to be driving under the influence of alcohol and completely liable for causing the collision that resulted in the death.
$700,000 Motorcycle Accident - Recovered for a motorcyclist who suffered a partial degloving of his left arm and a fractured femur. The accident was caused by a motorist driving under the influence of alcohol who initially fled the scene of the accident. The at fault driver was found 100% liable for the victim's injuries.
$248,000 Trucking Accident - Recovered for accident victim who suffered a fractured ankle caused by a negligent truck driver. The at fault driver was driving a commercial vehicle and was found completely liable. The victim's ankle surgery following the accident was not completely successful and she required follow up care and an additional surgery. The at fault driver was found liable for the injuries sustained by the victim, including the second surgery and follow up care.

Do you need professional legal assistance?