Tolleson, AZ (June 24, 2022) – Two children were killed and a driver sustained critical injuries when a company street sweeper went over the edge of a ramp on Loop 101 and plunged onto the interstate below on Friday, June 24th in Phoenix.
According to sources, the incident took place at about 3”30 a.m. on the southbound Loop 101 ramp when a street sweeper fell off the bridge and onto the westbound lanes of Interstate 10.
Witnesses saw the sweeper truck, which was occupied by two adults and two children, drop off the ramp. Upon their arrival, first responders located a woman in her 40s and a 7-year-old girl trapped inside the company truck.
The woman informed police that a third person, a 10-year-old girl, was in the street sweeper prior to the crash, but was unaccounted for at the scene.
Just a few minutes later, crews discovered the ejected body of the second child on the ramp above the crash.
The female driver is listed in critical condition.
The child that was found inside the vehicle died at the hospital.
According to the officials, speed and impairment are being investigated as possible factors in the accident. The Department of Public Safety is also looking into why the woman had two children in the truck with her.
The westbound lanes of I-10 were shut down and ramp closures were put in place as police conducted their investigation. No additional details are available.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased victims at this time. Our thoughts are with the injured victims and their families in hopes of a full recovery.
Fatal Collisions in Arizona
If the victim of an Arizona traffic collision dies from their injuries, the legal landscape surrounding your case has now shifted in such a way that you are eligible to bring a claim of wrongful death against the at-fault party. When successful, these claims can potentially produce damage awards that provide financial compensation to the victim’s surviving relatives for:
- Medical costs/Hospital bills
- Funeral and burial expenses/Cremation costs
- Lost earnings the deceased would have contributed to the household
- Loss of companionship
If you sustained injuries in a road accident, you should seek the immediate advice of an Arizona personal injury lawyer to determine what types of financial compensation you might be entitled to and from whom.
Some examples of typical forms of compensation include:
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses add up fast following a serious car crash in Arizona, especially when you take into account the fact that the injuries most often caused by these accidents include traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, and whiplash.
- Property Damage: If your truck, car, or some other piece of personal property is destroyed or damaged, such as the new laptop you had in the trunk, you could be able to secure restitution for the expenses associated with repairs, replacements, vehicle rental while yours is being fixed, or, if it was totaled, the cost of a new car.
- Lost Wages: If you sustained considerable injuries, it could be the case that you will not be able to physically return to work for a significant period of time. This will make your financial situation exceptionally trying as your medical bills continue to accumulate.
- Pain and Suffering: These are immaterial damages without a fixed dollar amount resulting from your injuries that directly impact your quality and enjoyment of life.
If your loved one was killed in a motor vehicle accident, reach out to the personal injury lawyers at Saavedra Law by calling (602) 753-8917 to schedule a no-obligation case review with a member of our legal team as soon as possible.
Note: Our writer used outside sources in the creation of this post. These sources include local news reports, local and state police incident reports, social media outlets, and eyewitness accounts about serious injury accidents that take place in Arizona. We have not independently verified all of the facts surrounding this accident. If you find any information that is not correct, contact Saavedra Law Firm, PLC as soon as possible so that we can correct the post to reflect the most accurate information available. We will remove this post upon request.
Disclaimer: This post is not a solicitation for business. None of the information in this post is intended to be medical or legal advice. If you have been injured in an accident, seek the help of a medical professional. The photo used in this post was not taken at the actual accident scene.