Wrongful Death Lawyer Goodyear, AZ
If your family member was killed because of someone else’s carelessness, you may want to get in touch with a Goodyear, AZ wrongful death lawyer from Saavedra Law Firm, PLC to discuss your case. Your family may be eligible for compensation. An attorney can help you pursue a timely wrongful death claim against the negligent party.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Hospitals
When patients go into the hospital for treatment, they expect to come out feeling better. Unfortunately, however, it does not always happen. In fact, some patients due to negligence. Here are the most common causes of wrongful death in hospitals.
- Medication errors. When a patient is getting discharged from a hospital, a doctor may prescribe medication. Although prescription medication can be very helpful for managing illnesses and injuries, they can be life-threatening if prescribed incorrectly. For example, if a doctor fails to consider potential drug interactions when prescribing medication, the patient could die.
- Misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis is one of the most common types of medical malpractice and can have deadly results. If a doctor diagnoses a patient with the wrong illness, the patient’s actual illness may worsen. For example, if lung cancer is misdiagnosed as pneumonia or asthma, the lung cancer can progress and won’t respond to treatment anymore.
- Surgical errors. Surgery is sometimes necessary to treat certain health conditions and injuries. However, if surgeons and other surgical staff are negligent during the process, the results could be fatal. As a Goodyear wrongful death lawyer can confirm, surgical errors like leaving surgical instruments inside the body, operating on the wrong patient and using too much anesthesia can cause death.
- Infections. It is critical for hospital staff to constantly clean and sanitize the facility. Otherwise, patients have a higher chance of developing an infection. If an infection is not treated promptly, it can be fatal.
- Inadequate staffing. Unfortunately, some hospitals do not have enough staff members. This can have deadly consequences for patients. For instance, a doctor might be forced to make quick judgment calls, which can result in mistakes.
Determining Liability in a Wrongful Death Medical Malpractice Claim
If your loved one died because of hospital medical malpractice, you deserve proper compensation. One of the first steps in determining liability. If your family member died because of negligence in a hospital, there may be multiple liable parties. For example, if a doctor made a mistake that resulted in a patient’s death because the hospital was understaffed, both the doctor and hospital may be held responsible.
An experienced attorney can help you identify all of the liable parties and go after the compensation you deserve. He or she can help you gather evidence to strengthen your wrongful death case and handle negotiations with the defendant’s insurance company. With a skilled attorney on your side, you will have a lot less stress.
If you want to pursue a wrongful death case, you should schedule a consultation with a Goodyear wrongful death lawyer from Saavedra Law Firm, PLC right away.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit FAQ
What Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
As a Goodyear, AZ wrongful death attorney from Saavedra Law Firm, PLC can confirm, a wrongful death lawsuit can arise when a person is killed due to someone else’s negligent actions. The deceased person’s family members can pursue the lawsuit and obtain compensation for medical expenses, funeral and burial bills, loss of future income and loss of companionship. In order to have a successful wrongful death case, you have to prove the following elements:
- The death of a person
- The death was caused by another person’s carelessness or intent to cause harm
- The surviving family members have suffered financial losses from the person’s death
When a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Can Apply
Losing a loved one is never easy, but it can be even more devastating when the death is caused by another party’s negligence. Here are a few situations in which a wrongful death lawsuit can apply.
- Car accidents. Car accidents occur every day in Arizona and some of them result in fatalities. Common causes of these accidents include distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, running red lights and fatigued driving. Fatal car accident injuries may include traumatic brain injuries, severe burns and internal injuries.
- Medical malpractice. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is one of the most common causes of wrongful death. If a doctor or other medical professional is negligent, patients may sustain fatal injuries. Common types of medical malpractice include surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors and birth injuries. If your loved one died because of medical malpractice, you may want to speak with a Goodyear wrongful death attorney.
- Product liability. Manufacturers have a duty to make sure that their products are safe for the public to use. If they fail to do this, people can suffer injuries or even die from using defective products. These defective products may include food, children’s products, home appliances and vehicles.
How Difficult It Is to Establish Wrongful Death
Proving wrongful death can actually be quite complicated. You must provide sufficient evidence that a person’s negligent actions directly resulted in your family member’s death. This evidence may include photos and videos, medical records and witness statements. An experienced wrongful death attorney can help you obtain this evidence and improve your chances of getting a fair settlement.
How Wrongful Death Settlements Are Paid Out
Once a wrongful death lawsuit has been settled, the defendant’s insurance company will send a check to your attorney. He or she will then take out legal fees and send the remainder of the settlement to you and your family members.
Getting Assistance with a Wrongful Death Claim
If you need help with a wrongful death claim, it is important to get in touch with an experienced attorney right away. An attorney can help you file the necessary paperwork in a timely manner and reduce your stress. He or she can handle the legwork so that you can properly heal.
Schedule a consultation with a Goodyear wrongful death attorney from Saavedra Law Firm, PLC today to discuss your case in detail.