Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you’ve ever been on an interstate or highway then you know that often there are motorcycles on the road. No matter the reason you are on the road there are dangers that come with it. Often the people on the road are trying to get to their destination the quest and the most direct route possible. When it comes to motorcyclists they are more vulnerable to accidents based on their size compared to other vehicles.
If you are a motorcycle rider then you know that the road can be a dangerous place.
Dangers on the Road
Motorcycles are on average 5 times more likely than a passenger vehicle to have serious injuries happen when an accident occurs. There are many factors that go into increasing the likelihood of a motorcycle accident and they are:
- Manufacturer Defects. If a motorcycle is poorly designed or has defective parts the company that made it can be held liable to injuries or deaths resulting from an accident due to faulty equipment.
- Unsafe Lane Changes. You can’t control other drivers which can make things difficult. When other drivers fail to signal or look in their blind spots they can easily collide with a motorcycle when changing lanes.
- Driving Under the Influence. This goes for both passenger car drivers and motorcycle drivers. No matter who is driving if someone is under the influence of alcohol or drugs it significantly reduces their reaction time and ability to judge distances.
- Lane Splitting. This is when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of traffic. It is dangerous as other vehicles may not see the motorcyclist when changing lanes.
- Open Vehicle Doors. This is why lane splitting is also dangerous. A driver of a passenger can open their door and the reaction time to stop a motorcycle isn’t long enough and a crash happens.
- Reckless Driving. This is a leading cause of many accidents. Speeding or going over the posted speed limit, not paying attention, and being distracted can lead to the ability to not stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Driver Errors. New or inexperienced drives often make dangerous or hasty moves behind the wheel. They could not notice a motorcycle rider till they are right next to them which is often too late.
- Left-turn accidents. Right of way errors or misjudgments of distance while making a left turn is a common cause of injury in motorcycle riders.
- Hazardous Road Conditions. Uneven pavement, potholes, snow, ice, water, and even leaves can be hazardous on the road. When you add in there is often inadequate signage indicating hazardous road conditions a motorcyclist is at risk for losing control and getting hurt.
A motorcycle accident is a scary event in anyone’s life who has gone through one. If you or a loved one were injured it is in your best interest to reach out to a motorcycle accident lawyer like Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols for their experience in handling cases like yours.